So, I should have take a picture of this, but I didn’t, so you’re just going to have to trust that this is super tasty. Since we don’t eat grains anymore (at least most of the time) we haven’t had hamburgers for a long time, which is a shame, since they really are healthy for you despite what vegetarians might say. A friend mentioned that certain burger restaurants had protein style burgers where they just put lettuce on the ends of the burger, so I decided to try it out. I have a huge head of Iceberg lettuce that was just going to rot in my fridge, because we much prefer the taste of Romain lettuce, so I picked a few leaves off the head, which was much harder than I thought it would be, probably because it had been wrapped in cellophane. Then I made some super scrumptious burgers that were just delicious. Here’s the recipe.
- 2 hamburger patties
- 1-2 bell peppers, sliced thin
- sea salt
- 4 bacon slices, cooked
- 3/4 C shredded cheese
- 1/4 C baby spinach
- Cook the patties in a frying pan, adding salt and pepper.
- Add the peppers as soon as you're done slicing them.
- When the patties are cooked, place the on a plate, add a few pieces of spinach, and top with a small handful of cheese. Put the plate in a cold oven, and then turn the oven on.
- Heat bacon in the frying pan.
- When heated through, remove the bacon and peppers from the burner.
- When cheese is melted, remove from oven.
- Place lettuce on two plates, add patties, bacon, and peppers, then top with another lettuce leaf.